Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kabuki

Today I have decided to go see some Kabuki.

Kabuki is the traditional japanese theater.
As far as I know mainly men are playing in Kabuki and they play the role of the woman.
So I went at the Shimbashi Enbujo theatre for the play at 11am, thinking that after that I can have a lunch in Ginza.

This is the theatre. The original Kabuki theatre is under reconstruction so they play in this one.
I am going to see 3 pieces:
Aioi jishi: this was the dance of the shishi (mythical lion). Men dressed like women with kimonos and with white faces are dancing, many musicians are singers are on the stage too, playing traditional guitar and drums.

Kinkakuji: story of a mean shogun kidnapping princesses and hunsband and the way they try to escape or kill him
Kagatobi: Story of the masseur Dogen killing people and trying to sell his niece, well bad guy story :-)

I took some english translator, which actually is a must, because they speak a lot and otherwise you don't understand what's really happening.
Even japanese people have them, in japanese :-), to have the comments about the story.
This is my ticket youpi!!!
I was thinking that it will last 2 hours and then I can have my lunch but  4hours and 40 minutes (with 3 breaks, where I took a red bean fish, I was starving!!!) later I was sleeping a little bit I have to admit. But I was not the only one, many people did too.

I have to say I am always very surprised where japanese people manage to sleep. At the theater, at the sumo, in restaurant, cafes and bars, in the subway. Everywhere, they just fall asleep like that!!!
But even if I was sleeping at the end :-) this was extremely nice.
I really enjoyed, this is really traditional Japan.
The costumes, music, songs, … were beautiful
the is at the entrance of the theater.


You see this woman is played by a man, but this is really bluffing
the all set. Mainly old people where there, I think I was the youngest,  but as I said I really liked it!!!
After that I wanted to go back to my hotel to have a quick lunch, middle day snack. But as I told you before taking the subway can be confusing sometimes, after fighting to find my line, I took the wrong direction. And you can not change like that, you have to exit, and they gave me this paper in order not to pay twice.
And since they have a lot of these papers, once again I am not the only one :-)
After that I went to the cafe cotton club in Shimbashi with some japanese friends, too hear some music and have a dinner and some french wine:-)
Since most of us are sumos fans this was great (particularly to watch some pictures).
But it was also a lot of girlies talks (yes all girls)!!!
Once again I had a great evening, see what they have ordered for me :-)
I waiting to see them again in 6 months!!!!
Ja mata!